Termites are extremely common in Arizona and pose an extremely destructive threat to any home or structure. Drywood Termites establish their colonies above ground and if left untreated may require your home to be tented and fumigated. Both termites feed off of cellulose which is largely found in wood. Subterranean and Drywood termites cause up to 95% of termite-related damage found in the United States. Subterranean termites thrive in wet/ moist environments as they need the moisture from soil and wood to sustain themselves. This is why they build their colonies underground.
Here are some tips to help prevent a termite invasion into your home:
- Never leave piles of wood up against your home or near your home, this serves as a nice appetizer for termites. Your home would be the main course!
- Do not leave standing water around the perimeter of your home.
- Try to avoid planting up against your home, as the water will attract subterranean termites.
- Don’t allow soil to grade over the foundation of your home.
- Have inspections done on your home annually by pest professionals.
- Don’t wait until it is too late! Call Horn Pest Management today to schedule an inspection.